Warlords Of Kruhl 3e EN:Magic
By default, a spell has:
- Hand-to-hand range
- Lasts less than a round
- Affects a single target, or less than a two meter diameter
- Inflicts at most 1 Endurance damage
- Has a result that is found in nature
- Has an otherwise ordinary effect that would take a person with proper tools and training less than a day to accomplish
A spell of this kind is called "petty magic", or a "cantrip". Petty magic does not require a skill roll unless the target is a person or creature, and it does not cost Arcane Power or Sacred Power.
The more aspects a spell has, the greater its cost in Arcane Power or Sacred Power. Each aspect increases the cost by 1 Arcane Power or Sacred Power.
- Range: Spell has range beyond hand-to-hand (maximum range based on the caster's Power Level)
- Duration: spell lasts beyond a single turn (maximum duration in rounds equal to "general effect", based on the caster's Power Level)
- Area: spell affects everything within an area (maximum area based on the caster's Power Level)
- Salvo: spell affects multiple people simultaneously (maximum number of targets equal to "general effect", based on the caster's Power Level)
- Damage: Spell inflicts +1 Endurance damage, if the spell is successful and if it inflicts at least one point of Endurance damage.
- Summoning: Spell summons a creature to aid the caster (maximum attributes of creature equal to "general effect", based on the caster's Power Level)
- Unnatural: Spell has a result that does not occur in nature
- Production: Spell has an otherwise ordinary effect that would take a person or persons with proper tools and training more than a day to accomplish
If the aspect of the spell is greater than 0 (before any reductions for technique, below), the spell always requires a skill roll to cast. The spell is either resisted by the intended target, or it is a remarkably difficult (DV 6) task when the target is not a person or creature.
When the target is a person or creature, the target's defense roll is either Hand-to-hand Combat, Ranged Combat, or Magic Resistance. Every person and creature automatically has the Magic Resistance skill. Magic Resistance is the skill used for defending against magical attacks which do not inflict ordinary Endurance damage. Magic Resistance is usually based on Presence. Unlike other skills, characters may not buy expertise with Magic Resistance (however, some creatures have it naturally).
Each technique used reduces the cost of the spell by 1 Arcane Power or Sacred Power. The cost in Arcane Power or Sacred Power can be reduced by up to half (rounded in the character's favour -- for example, a spell which normally costs 1 Arcane Power can be reduced to 0).
- Ritual (2d6 * 10 minutes)
- Uncommon materials (materials one does not normally have at hand, which are consumed by the casting of the spell)
- Gestures and incantations (impossible to conceal the casting of the spell)
- Personal focus (wand, staff, amulet, holy symbol)
- Sacrifice (an animal... usually)
- Contagion (personal item belonging to the target, or part of target itself)